jueves, 31 de mayo de 2012

Day 7: First day of observations

Wednesday (Day 7) was the first day of our observations in our placement. Like I said I am placed at Misericordia at the high school level. It is a Catholic school so the students where uniforms. I think at most schools they have some sort of uniform. The first class I was in was a technology class. They were learning about alternate forms of energy. It was very interesting but the only reason I knew what we going on because one of the doctorate students was translating for me. I feel bad being dependent on the doc students but they said I didn't really need Spanish but you kind of do... Oh well. I am just going to have to try to learn Spanish. I understand more than I thought. I found that out when I was in the next class. It was a 2nd year of high school (so our 8th grade) math class. They were learning about fractions and I understood everything. Math really is a universal language. The only time we needed something translated is when the teacher was talking to us about other things than the lesson and at that point she had a student translate everything for us. I thanked her a lot for translating. I liked being in the math class because I learned some neat methods on how to teach adding fractions. If I ever teach a class at that level I could really used what I learned in Argentina, which is pretty cool. After that math class I went to a drama class and they were working on death scenes. First they act out the death scene from shakespeare as it was written then they were suppose to change the ending. It was very interesting and kind of funny. We got to leave after that class since we started at 7:45 and it was noon by the time the 3rd class ended.

In the schools it was really interesting because the students kept wanting to try speaking english to us so we got asked a lot of questions. Towards the end of the tech class, me and my classmates were surrounded by students getting ask questions about our lives. I felt like a celebrity.

We had a long free time after that. I was free from 12-8pm. It was a nice siesta. I took a 2-hour long nap. For dinner around 6:30, I went to get that chicken sandwich again from the cafe right by Misericordia, El Meson. It is a really good sandwich. I could probably eat it at least once a week.

We were a little late to the meeting with our professor because the waitress didn't get us our check when we asked for it. We asked like 5 times before getting it. You you are a rush in Argentina you can basically expect that you will be late. Its hard to be in a rush when eating at a restaurant.

After our meeting, we went back to the teacher school and sat in a class. They were talking about the laws for education in Argentina. It was very interesting. Then we got to get in groups and work on this mural together. The group I was in was too busy talking and taking pictures to really work on our little section of the mural but that's okay. I made some new friends. :) It was fun. After that we just took taxis back and I set up a facebook for one of my classmates. It was really funny. So I was up until like 1am and I knew I had to get up early the next day, not as early as today because they pushed our time back to start at the second block of classes. A lot of people couldn't sleep so we were all facebook chatting on our little study abroad group. ;)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario